9.23.2005

I Love Books.

Reading is a lost art today. Granted, it took me a while to learn to appreciate reading - I used to hate it! Whereas I once dreaded the thought of reading, now I dread the fact that I don't read enough. Reading is important in any area of life, but especially for the Christian.

A Christian should always be reading to always be learning to always be "grow[ing] in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ" 2 Peter 3:18. Perhaps you're one who says "The Bible is the only book I need!"; while I admire and agree with your passion for the sole authority of Scripture - the most important and only infallible Book - I'd have to ask you then, do you attend a preaching service at your church? If so, why? You do so (I hope) to hear the exposition (explanation and application) of God's Word from the man of God, the pastor. Well, in the same way, books (I'm speaking of good, solid, biblical books) are preachers teaching us the Word. In fact, the best books are often written by pastors as edited forms of their sermon notes. So, why not sit under the teachings of men whom you will never get to hear with your ear - especially men who have already gone to Heaven and are experiencing the joy of eternal life that they so often preached and wrote about. But remember, don't neglect the preaching of the Word, "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching" Hebrews 10:25; nor the reading of God's Book, the Bible (see Psalm 19:7-14 and Psalm 119). But let me encourage you to find a good book and begin a new hobby of reading!

Here's a link to an article by Jim Eliff, on why we should read a good book. He says it much better than I ever could! I found it interesting - as I had never really noticed this before - that the apostle Paul (who wrote much of the New Testament) loved books as well (see Eliff's article and also 2 Timothy 4:13).

Below are a few of my personal favorites:





A Passion for God by Ray Ortlund,Jr.







The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges







Ashamed of the Gospel by John MacArthur

No comments: